Monday, July 30, 2012

About Me











My name is John. A longtime blog reader, the only reason I started a blog of my own is that Susan bugged me to do it, with the lure that I might learn how to take photos like hers, which I secretly collect.

I live in a small seaside New England town in a small house, which I adore. I live with my daughter, whom I will refer to as 'Anonymous', and a sweet but not cuddly, petite, black cat named Shady, who thinks she's a shoe. I have grey hair. "That means you have to listen to me," aimed at my high-school-aged daughter, not you, dear readers.

My mother's mother taught me to appreciate gardens. So I have a native perennial garden with ponds in the back. Last summer the entire back wall of my living room was made glass, with French doors that bring the sounds and smells from the garden and ponds into the house. Smart move. A second garden of more cultivated plants along the south rock wall is currently experiencing a phlox-plosion. For the first time I have a vegetable garden just down the street at our local Community Gardens: three raised beds, 3 x 16 feet each. Some of what I grow, I eat, and the rest goes to our local food pantry. It wasn't until this year that I had any success growing from seed. Radishes are freakin' awesome! There will be much more seeding in my future.

Although we are a small town, we have two public libraries and a Bookmobile. I prefer the smaller branch because of the drive through the woods to get there.

I chose to accept my assignment: read Jenna's blog, read Susannah's blog, put my little point-and-shoot camera near my car keys so I'd remember my photo assignment. For the first time, I took my camera lawn-mowing, and I took a photo of my hair, which was both strange and exciting. So far, so good. What happens next, Susan?

11 comments:

Susan said...

You made me chuckle John (photo of your hair comment) & an excellent visual (and more) snippets of you & your life + lovely variety & assortment of vantage points - which I believe makes these photo stories ultimately more interesting.

I'm so glad that I was successful in "bugging" you to start a blog - I promise a money back guarantee you will not regret it.

'til Wednesday's PO week 2
over n' out, S

Karen said...

Hi John,
I enjoyed all of your photos...especially the one of the phlox and how you captured them from underneath with the sky in the frame. Your gardens are wonderful. Your part of the country must not have been hit by the drought we've been experiencing in the Midwest.
Would those cherry tomatoes be from your garden? That salad looks delicious! Nice shot of the pond as well.
Funny thing...I took a picture of my gray hair last year for my blog. Mine had just started growing out, and it was quite a transition for me....now I find it freeing and am embracing it.
Thanks for sharing your photos.

John said...

Thanks for your comments Karen. The phlox photo was shot without viewing, just sticking the camera under and pressing the shoot button. I took many and most are good. I've grown phlox for many years but not paid attention to the underside or the unfurled blossoms, so that was a new perspective for me. We are dry here and sometimes hot but not in drought.

Salad is all from my garden: spicy mesclun mix with lemon basil, and sun gold and sweet olive cherry tomatoes. We are just starting tomato harvesting season here. I can't wait!

Sara said...

nice to "meet" you John!
lovely photos
grey hair rocks!

John said...

Nice to meet you too, Sara!

Bonbon Oiseau said...

Lovely John! Beautiful house! Shady really does look like Max...

Moose said...

Woof John + nice to meet you. Gardens are our weakness + we just returned home from vacation so Mom is collecting tomatoes in hoards, while I supervise! I like your cat photos of course. Tail wags. ~moose

John said...

Thanks Bonbon! Max is a long, lean, Egyptian goddess; Shady is a play-monster, has a bit of a waddle, is the gentlest cat I have ever known.

John said...

Thanks, Moose, nice to meet you too! I look forward to seeing your mom's garden and tomatoes in her PO posts. You have a cat?

Val said...

Hi John, nice to "meet" you. Glad you've started a blog and hope you'll continue posting. Thanks for the nice comments about my pix. Loved reading the snippets of your life and the queenly black and white cat.

dianne said...

Hi John, I popped over from Susan's blog, these photos are wonderful, your garden is so beautiful and your black cat Max, well she is gorgeous,Icky too.
xoxoxo ♡