Monday, August 6, 2012

Flight of the Bumblebee

The standard straight-on, pointing down snapshot 

"Bombs away!"

Subject level, pointing slightly up

Majoring in petunias, minoring in gomphrena

A la bumblebee

Subject level

Majoring in gomphrena, auditing petunias

A la bumblebee

From below

Below, grouping

From below, better light on other side


Our Passionate Observer challenge for this week was to take photos of something from unexpected angles in a variety of lighting situations and to try to reduce some images to abstract color, light, and shadow.

"When you decide you need a little color...put in a summer crop of flowers, perhaps pink petunias."
—Mel Bartholomew, All New Square Foot Gardening, page 144.

So pink petunias in my Community Garden plot in tribute to Bartholomew, who sparked my interest in vegetable gardening with his 1980s PBS showGomphrena globosa behind the petunias because I have wanted to grow it since I first saw it at a local farmers's market. Its uncultivated, clover-like flowers appeal to me, its fully saturated magenta not as shy as the flower form. But I want the strawberry red haageana next year.

For a variety of angles and views, I made an effort to put the camera where I usually would not, buzzing around and inside the plants like a bee. #1 and #2 are regular snapshots: distant, boring. #3 is the camera on the bed frame, almost level with the subject, the angle I use most often: something seems wrong if the camera body is not perpendicular to the ground. #4 is moving in and under to emphasize the petunias. #5 has the best light. I liked the gomphrena photos with my camera inside the plant, and I liked the composition of the three upward photos but not the light. Those photos were made at about 5 p.m., I probably should have waited for a lower sun. No abstract images from me this week, because I can't manipulate the focus of my little point-and-shoot camera, which autofocuses. Suggestions anyone?

The extra below shows how a dense planting of annuals can lift a vegetable garden, to counter the gnarly tomato stems and shriveling lower leaves. And it smells good!

Sungold tomatoes with alyssum, marigold, petunias, gomphrena, and calibrachoa

6 comments:

Susan said...

excellenté ! Love the entire series & ya know how I feel about pink ?

I love your under planting of fleurs in the veggie garden - must tell/show the Prince who's rather rigid rules are vegetables & flowers should not be allowed in the same soil.

Love the gomphrena - red second fav colour ;-)

John said...

Fellow Bee, I knew you would like the pink flowers!

Just a few annuals here and there can make the vegetable garden seem more garden-like and less like farm rows. Plus the flowers attract pollinators. I think that second point might persuade.

Kathie said...

greetings, John... I'm finally getting to look around at fellow Passionate Observers' posts and particularly enjoyed this one... I hadn't thought to post my photos in a series and appreciated the various angles you tried. Love your garden and the under planting of annuals beneath the tomatoes is beautiful. Thanks for your comments on my posts and be sure to check what I just posted... especially for you!

John said...

Thanks for your comment, Kathie. Oh boy, another no-knead bread recipe to try! I love cheddar loaves!

Val said...

Hello John, I really thought the captions to your pix were amusing and the pix themselves were beautiful. Those colors against the blue sky just sing out loud! The veg (and flower) garden look particularly enticing. I always used to grow pansies and marigolds in small pots among the tomatoes and herbs but now I can only grow herbs in small pots on a windowsill now as the wind would carry anything else out to sea.

Gigi said...

Wow! This was a nice reminder of beautiful summer ;-) Thanks for stopping by Spitty Speaks today--Happy New Year!